Thursday, August 23, 2007

Welcome to Lake La Bella!

We weren't kidding about the rain. I got home last night and Lisa got out a flashlight to show me the new "koi pond." Sure 'nuf...there was a sizable pond in the area formerly inhabited by the yard. Ever willing to roll with whatever life throws at us, Lisa got in the spirit of the new waterfront property and donned a swim cap. We didn't have any koi so we got the rubber duckies from the bathtub. Just as we were taking this photo Gabby came blazing through the pond. She never slowed down, just ran straight through.
So before I say another word, I have to hand out some "Most Amazing Friends/Family" awards. First, to Lisa, for bringing the Trek Truck over to the old house last night. She called me as I was having yet another meltdown over th backsplash and then just went into action. She called the trek store and borrowed their box truck and drove straight into Madison with it, at 8pm!! We loaded the rest of my junk into it, all during a steady downpour. As I was handing boxes up to her I was thining "oh my gosh, she's amazing." And she is.

I also want to thank my most wonderful brother, for helping me not once, but twice (or was it three times) loading up truck/car/bigger truck and driving up to the farm to unload. He didn't complain, just pitched in every time I needed it. Thanks, Brian. You're the best big brother anyone could ever have.

Last but not least, an enormous thanks to my friend Cheri Lewis for helping me out with loading, moving, cleaning the old place. She solved one problem after another and didn't listen to me when I said "everything is out of the closet/basement/bedroom." GOod thing or I'd be missing a bunch of sheets, towels and my ski waxing bench. Cheri, I owe you--and thanks.

The house sold, I signed the paper work an hour ago and am celebrating by making a blog entry. I am feeling exceptionally grateful and lucky to have the friends and family I do.

Once the euphoria wears off I can get to unloading the truck. Until then, here is a photo of the last bit of my move; all my books and dishes are in this truck. I don't know why I need 4 sets of dishes....and don't any of you answer that.

14 comments:

Brian Anderson said...

Beck:
Thanks for the nice words. Shecks, i just helped ya move--it's not like i gave you a kidney or anything :)
Glad you're moved in. Very funny picture with the wellie boots and plastic duckies. I'll crack a bottle of red wine to celebrate your move tonite.
b.

Lady Barbara said...

Heck! I wudda helped!
And the reason you have four sets of china, my dear, is so your favorite designer has adequate props to work with in creating the IDEAL entertaining and domestic environment for proper lady farmers. Professionally speaking, I adored the yellow rubber ducky touch. That is what functional appropriateness is all about. Girls after my own heart. And Gabby's antics add the perfect whimsical counterpoint.
Brian I'll join you in that glass of wine! I propose a toast to great, real, beginnings and farewell to the green sofa and ALL it represents!

Mooneybat said...

Wow, you've got all yourI shall toast here with my weak ginger peach tea and stale donut. What a load off that must be! And here it is nearly September, the most beautiful month of the year in Wisconsin. September is great for riding (flies and heat not so bad) for home decorating (light great, heat not so bad) gardening (tomatoes fantasitc, heat not so bad) and landscaping (drainage good, heat not so bad) and so on. There is a nice looking horse on Craig's list that Lisa should look at. I'll go try to find a link.

Mooneybat said...

Oops, I started a sentence at the beginning of that last post and never finished it. Nevermind! Here's a link to a very cute looking horse with what appears to be very nice comformation and manners (his shoulder might be a bit steep but, it is hard to be sure about that the way he is standing. Sweet face! He'd be worth a look anyway. The price is certainly right. http://madison.craigslist.org/grd/403682075.html

Anonymous said...

I love this blog!
Congrats on completing the move/sell of the house/etc... I am with your brother and will open a bottle of wine in celebration. (Gosh, it didn't take a lot to talk me into that!)
Cari, from the velodrome in L.A.

Anonymous said...

Hey all,
Thanks for the kind notes. I think we had a virtual wine party last night what with all of us drinking to the move!!
Cari, great to hear from you and I hope the track is treating you well.
Fambly--thanks for all the encouragement.
Update on the pond: It's holding steady...seems to be not growing any more and that's good.
Humm. Maybe I should get a floaty chair and relax in the pond this weekend!

Anonymous said...

sara...quit sending horse stuff!! I'm full--got 2 horses coming and a third that is a boarder. Next thing ya know I"ll have 10!! Just send me photos of ugly horses that way I won't be tempted!

Mooneybat said...

What the...? Where's all the equine matter coming from?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca. Your farm looks like a utopian dream, even underwater. It's a bittersweet day here on Weber Drive. It looks like their is activity at your old place so the new neighbors must be settlin in. We will miss you and Gabbs being so close. Luke, Ivy and I (and Al of course) would love to come out and see the farm and meet the various inhabitants. We were thinking of taking a drive on Sunday, let us know if it would work for us to stop on by. Enjoy the unpacking and keep up with the wine, the weather's right for it! Myranda myrandamcguire@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hot dog, hi there Myranda! Great to hear from you! The new people in the house are so sweet. That's Alison and Ryan. Very nice couple and she wants to get a pitt bull. I told her that you and Luke had one so stop over and stay hi.

Yes to coming out!! I'm aiming to go for a ride in the morning then do some chores in the afternoon so you could save me from doing chores! Thanks for your email; I'll send a note so you have my email.

Lady Barbara said...

Lago Della Bella Vita
A poem for Saturday morning

Droplets of rain -
Again and again -
Have filled the plain
But, we wont complain

Now the drops huddle
Right in the middle
Making a puddle
In which we can paddle

We wont have to mow
Or furrow or sow
‘cause nothing can grow
So we get time off
(I know, I know. Don’t start)

That rubber ducky
Also is lucky -
- Until it’s all mucky!
Then it will be icky

Deep bow.

Anonymous said...

Rebecca,
Good Morning. We'd love to stop out. Can you give us a call with directions? 608-661-5598 Thanks.
Myranda

Lady Barbara said...

Yer remote services done left you a message on yer cell phone about that Myranda character wantin' to visit - since ya don't have no internet up there in the hinterlands. Hope ya ketched up with 'er in time.

Anonymous said...

I love the poem!! That made me smile.

Mryanda, can't wait to have you out and soon! Are you around on Labor day? I'll be gone Sat/Sun but back sunday night to relax on Monday.

The pond is indeed shrinking....but it's raining again. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!