Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Autumn

So last weekend Amy, Jon, the dogs and me went up north to celebrate. What were we celebrating? Well, grouse season for one but also me entering phase 44B of my life.

The photo above is looking outside the window of the Dad cabin. Sydney dog parked herself on the couch (she was clean, Dad!) and stared out at the spectacular view. Amy and Jon went hunting and got a few birds. For my part, I did some drawing, wine drinking and contemplating of how it feels to get sacked for the first time in one's life. Harumph is all that comes to mind at the moment. Dad gave me a lesson with pastels which was very enjoyable. It's the opposite of watercolor...one starts dark and goes to the light. Watercolor (my usual medium) is the other way. I smooshed up some color in an approximation of the image of a horse...but darn, it's hard to get used to the chalk. Dad is really good at it and I'll have to practice for about 10 years to be half as good.

Here's a nice shot of Amy with Sydney out in the field.
Does she look tough (yet kind) or what?? And here's a photo of Jon with both dogs...little Fonzerelli and Sydney. Amy cooked up the birds on Sunday night and we feasted on them and wow, grouse is good!!! YUM! Here's hoping you all are enjoying some fall color.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, beautiful Fall in the Northwoods! Sweet Amy looks GREAT up in arms - but can she field-dress a moose?
And I blew up Jon's picture to see what he was holding and just had to laugh! Why is Sydney making that awful face? What does she have to "grouse about"? (sorry) And - omagosh - adorable Fonzi is suddenly more than a lap-full.
So what does grouse actually taste like? Duck? Goose? Please tell!

becx said...

Isn't that the best expression on Syd's face? I think she was about to sneeze...

Grouse tastes like tasty chicken. :)
And Fonzi is huge! Bigger than coop.

Anonymous said...

Oh GOOD!
With friends like Amy and Jon to bring you yummy grouse the chickens are spared!
What I want to know is -
do grouse(n.) actually grouse(v.)?
OR - where did we get the term
"to grouse" ?
Can you tell I am deeply involved in avoiding housework at the moment?
I miss those silly chickens. And I know you are off somewhere on this lovely Sunday afternoon playing horsie. Life is just not fair.
Now back to work.
Yo heave ho! (chanted as a dirge)