Friday, May 22, 2009

Willow, Before and After


Just a year ago I brought this sweet mare home. She is a Morgan and had been staked out like a dog in her owner's side yard. She was scrawny and green. She had scars on her face and hind legs from being tangled up in her rope.

Amy had seen the horse advertised on a horse website and sent me the link with a note: "this one looks nice." I made an assumption that Amy "saw" the horse (meaning, in a photo). I trust Amy so I made an appointment to see the mare.

The owner was a young woman with four kids under 4 and years old and clearly had no time for the mare much less upkeep of the property and a horse. I didn't like the look of the place but something made me want to try out the horse. And besides, Amy liked her.

I got on her and she walked boldly ahead. She couldn't steer well but she was listening to my voice. In the first 5 strides I could tell this little mare had a HUGE forward walk. She flicked her ears and turned her sweet eyes around to look at me and that was it: she had me at hello.

The first photo is Willow on her very first ride at Sunny Hill just about a year ago.


This photo was taken yesterday. Willow had a walk, trot, canter in the field then got to jump over some fences. She is getting the hang of it and had some very solid "real" jumps.

What a difference a year makes. Willow can now bend, pick up the canter on the correct lead every time, rate her speed and jump. On top of that she is the friendliest, happiest little mare on earth.

And the best part? Amy never actually "saw" the horse. She said she "saw" the ad and thought it looked like a prospect. We laugh about that all the time now because when Willow arrived she definitely did not "look" good. She does now though. So from backyard horse to stylish hunter, Willow has come into her own.

How darn lucky am I to have two wonderful horses like Oz and Willow? (pinching myself).
happy trails!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice story - nice save!
Pa

becx said...

Hi Dad, thanks for your note. It was a good save! Willow is a sweet sweet horse. Talented too!