Monday, September 17, 2007

Fambly Farm Weekend


Holly Molly, what a weekend. Much silliness, some good eats and a few highlights. Best told in photos.

The weekend started about 9am Saturday when I heard Joe's tractor start up. I went across the street to find out what we were doing that day (when I hear the tractor it usually means time to work). I found Joe and his grandson, Joe, in the wood bin. we hatched a plan to load a flat bed trailer full of wood into my basement. It was a perfect day for loading wood into a basement and Little Joe was the perfect sidekick. Here he is with his grandpa riding the big tractor.

Joe and Little Joe were a good team; they loaded the wood, I unloaded and stacked it. My stacking needs some work. The pile started out ok, then got narrower which I imagine is a common rookie wood stacking issue. Will work on that. Somewhere in the middle of all this Dad, Doris and Jimmy showed up. Doris and Jimmy live in Arbor Vitae and Jimmy is about to turn 16. He's a hip kid from the northwoods and he had on a belt to die for. I wanted to trade him any cd in my collection for his belt but never got around to that barter. They were on their way to a family reunion so Dad got dropped off and we got to loading more wood.

Loading wood is fun. It'd be more fun without a torn rotator cuff but so be it. I knew I'd be sore but the few logs that whapped me in the shins were hurting more than my shoulder.

After that chore Dad and I did some home maintenance projects including starting up the wood stove. Dad taught me how to start the fire and regulate it and we got it going pretty good. It was *weird* having it be warm in the house. I was comfy and not freezing for the first time in years. My old furnace (the one that finally quit last fall) in Madison never worked well and the house always had a chill. Not now; the wood fire was cozy perfect.

Sunday was another pretty day. Somewhere in the middle of the second cup of coffee the old kitchen light started flickering so Dad got after that one. He found the problem; some old cloth covered wire. He took out the light and we went to town to get a new one. The True Value in Columbus is the bomb! The staff actually know what they are talking about and are polite. What a concept. Really makes you realize how brainwashed one can get living in the city and having only Home Depot at your disposal. Long live family harware stores!!

Anyway, we got a new light (it's only temporary, Barbara!!) only I don't have a drill yet (doh) so we couldn't install the new one. Note to self: must get drill.

We had to put the light aside but that was fine as Sara, Ben, Mike, Brian, Erika, Simon, Doris, Jimmy and my good friends from Madison, Julie and Bill arrived. My goal for the day was to get the barn cleared out and thanks to Julie and Bill, the upper deck was ship shape! They swept up tons of guano. Bill named the climbing wall "Mt. Guano" and I'll have to have little sister Neen give the wall a rating. Ben was helping out too by driving the wheelbarrow full of bat poo.

In between the barn sweeping was the chimney check. Dad and Joe had the chimney open to check for creosote and wanted to show me how to do it. Here's me getting some instruction from Joe.

Turns out I have an insulated chimney and it was sparkly clean--no creosote. Since we had the ladder out I got up to the second floor and knocked a bird's nest out of the chimney. I couldn't quite reach back behind the chimney so Dad went up the ladder and finished off the nest.

I went back to the barn to see how Julie and Bill were doing and it was impressive. They had cleaned out the main floor and it looked great. Here they are, in full sweep mode. Julie used to race for Dairyland and retired two years ago but she's as fit as ever. After racing Julie returned to her first hobby, horses. I followed not long after and between the issues our two horses had, we've been good support for one another.

I went back twice last night to enjoy the clean barn. Thanks you two! That's a huge help and now I can get hay in there!


So while they were sweeping, the kids were discovering the chickens. Ben got one egg, Little Joe got 2 on Saturday.
I have added more chairs to the chicken coop viewing area for those wishing to enjoy the chicken show.

Here's my nephew, Ben,
taking a break from the barn clean up to watch the chicken show.


Ben and Dad had just planted a tree. Dad brought a red pine from up north for me. They planted it in a spot where I could see it out the window, not far from the peach tree.


And just as the day was getting on, I got my other nephew, Simon, out on the yard master. He got to wear the ear protection and steer. Like most little kids, they like a ride on anything mechanical.

Doris and Jimmy wanted to bring me a chicken for a present but couldn't find one. Turns out Doris loves chickens too so they got the next best thing; a fine looking roasting chicken. It got roasted last night and Brian, Erika, Simon and I had a great dinner, thank you very much!

So that was the big weekend on the farm. Much learned and more to come.

til soon,
becx

15 comments:

Mooneybat said...

That was a lovely time. Thanks for having us. I have to admit, I was not much in the way of actual work help but it was lovely to finally see the place. I am just in awe of how gorgeous a spot you have. Lots of good vibes. Sorry we had to boogie early but I really had to go and find my goat. Mike, Ben, my boss and his wife and baby daughter (in sling) and I went out into the pasture where we had last seen her and started beating the bush - literally- the place was a solid thicket of blackberry and multiflora rose bramble. On the plus side, there were some nice wild apple trees and a stream that we knew no self-respecting goat would ever cross to limit the search. Mike and I found her and then quickly lost her in the brush. Mike found her again, crouching in the deepest darkest quagmire of thorns and scared out of her mind. We are torn to ribbons but Doseabella is safely home. The poor dear. I will have her bred and then give her to you, Beck. She is really pretty and she is always very sweet when not lost in the wilderness. Then, as Barbara correctly noted earlier, you can rebreed her next year so that you will always have fresh goat milk, companionship and a good chase story to tell.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara! Glad you found dosabella, the poor thing. Thanks for giving me a goat! I think I'll learn how to make cheese. I love goat cheese.
That was fun seeing everyone yesterday and at least the top of the barn is clean. I can tackle the lower part next weekend or maybe even one night this week if I remember to get some new lightbulbs for the barn. A few cfls out to do it.
Joe got the water tank heater installed so I'm good to go there. Just need some hay and a fence and we'll call it a horse farm!

ScootsOnMoots said...

Are ya sure you caught all the critical notes on the chimney? Looks like you might have been in the middle of your afternoon siesta.

Mooneybat said...

Oh you'll love having a goat or two. Or three. After our adventure in the brush, you could easily talk Mike into giving you the lot of them for nuthin'! Actually, now that they are back, I'm enjoying them more than ever. They are great company. Dosey was giving me kisses all over she was happy like dog to see me.

Anonymous said...

Scotty!
You missed out on a good weekend of bat sh*&t farm fun! Speaking of siesta, I think one of the big hickory trees needs some sort of hammock thing one could nap in...

Sara, a goat or two would be just fine....what do goats eat, anyway?

Lady Barbara said...

Sara, send ME a goat! I love goats and my grass is impossible - just spent the entire morning repairing my ancient mower, and reading about goats right now makes me crazy...
I told Becca I need one named Barbara's Goat - or "BeeGee" to go with my new Barbara's Pony, "Beep" Nice job on the barn, you guys! And the wood and the chimney and the eggs and all the nifty tractors. I wish I had been able to come up. Not until hurricane season is over - gotta be ready to slap the pre-cut plywood panels on the correct windows of THREE whole houses now. And not a sale prospect in sight. Maybe in a couple of months. I yearn for some quality farm time.

Mooneybat said...

Goats are fantastic for consuming brush but not so good on grass. Now a sheep - there's a grass eater for you. And sheep nibble right up close to the edge of things - they just love the grass that grows up around stationary objects. If you had yard sheep, your grass would always look mowed AND edged AND fertilized! I'll be sending you some sheep.

Anonymous said...

So, if I tie the goat to the outside of my fence would he/she eat the brush that's grown up along the fenceline? That's the fence that Joe got hung up on--it either needs a good swath with a DR Brush mower or a goat....

Lady Barbara said...

Oh DEAR!
Sara you are chock full of great information! But if I get a sheep to keep MY yard properly clipped, and follow my recent naming pattern like "Beep" (BP) for Barbara's Pony, or "BeeGee" for Barbara's goat, a sheep would have to be called "B.S." for obvious reasons. Bahahahahaha! I'll have to leave her at Becca's. My neighbors aren't ready for this.

Mooneybat said...

Barbara, you could call the sheep B.O. for Barbara's ovine. What with the heat and humidity in FL the neighbors will have to understand!

Beck, that's what the goats were doing all summer - eating unmowable weeds. I'm thinking about writing a business plan and just moving my goats round the hilly countryside as a job. (it's also a great way to get the spousal unit to spring for a decent truck and trailer!)

Anonymous said...

This looks like so much fun... goats, chickens, horses, oh my!
Cari Higgins

Lady Barbara said...

OMAGOSH!
Now I need TWO!
BS and BO
Sara you are SO smaht
Perfect service industry business
I will subcontract mine to you at a reduced rate.

Lady Barbara said...

OH I JUST GOT IT!
That childhood poem made no sense until Sara's suggestion! Now, about Little B.O. Peep and her sheep - Maybe the message was about personal cleanliness: if miss Peep just took a bath the sheep would agree to come back. Well, the older you get, it seems the more you understand.

Mooneybat said...

And now I get it! This is a real eye opener for me so if you will excuse me, I've got some personal fungus to deal with...

Lady Barbara said...

And then, Sara, I'll bet your sheep (and probably your goats) will stay home, or come back home, without your getting all scratched up in the brambles, wagging their tails too!
Gollee - it was so simple all along.