Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Grass Seed & Shorter days

I didn't get a photo for this posting but picture this: I arrive home (by bike) and pull into the yard and there's a sprinkler running on the newly seeded yard. Guess who? If you didn't answer "Joe" you need to go way back to the beginning of the blog and get ed-u-ma-cated.

The yard is looking good. We seeded it last night with a mixture of rye and timothy and other yard type seed. The frost free pump is working just fine, and the rye grass should sprout in no time. I'll get a photo of that for ya...nothing better than grass growing. Seriously! All paper pushers need to put some seeds in a pot on your kitchen windowsill and remember what the cycle of life is about. It's gratifying, I tell you. And heck, the farmers have known it for a loooooong time. No wonder they know the value of the city life v. the country life. Smart people, those farmers. They can see things from different perspectives which is a skill that more humans could use. That and heaps of patience and I'm working on the latter.

Anyway, by the time I moved the sprinkler over the last section of yard it was going on 7:30 and it was dark already. that makes me sad but I try to remember that come Dec. 21 the days get longer again.

I'm 'tarred' and need to read a book before book club tomorrow. I'm hosting. I've been in this book club for 10 years and it's a great excuse to drink wine (like I need one) and talk about books-my favorite thing. I LOVE books. Our bookthis month is: "Desperate Characters." If I remember I'll write a book report.
ciao for now,
becx

2 comments:

ScootsOnMoots said...

Let me know when the club gets to reading Desperate Housewives. I'd be more inclined to hear conversations on that. Awwwww....just kidding.

Whilst shopping today, plenty of natures bounty lined the shelves and with that came the realization our peach might not have been a peach at all. It might have been a nectarine. That tree isn't producing much fruit and it looks a little stunted. Might be because of the climate. My neighbors have one though so I'm doing a taste test here shortly. I'll let ya know how it grows.

And a big thanks to Joe for smoothing out the yard. I may now return and mow in peace. After the skeeters die.

Lady Barbara said...

The skeeters'll die when 1) every wet leaf and puddle and blade of grass is too dry to breed in or 2) the first frost. dont pray for a drought - the grass wont make it. Better hope for an early frost. Meanwhile, Deet and mosquito netting. Poor horses dont get to come in the house. (Except the pony, that is)