Friday, December 21, 2007

Mouse Week!

My cat is a mouser. My dog is a rabbit hunter and general small vermin killer. But my chickens are mousers too??

So far the death tally at the farm since August is one skunk and two rabbits (Gabby), a rat (barn cat) and two dead mice in the house. Now the chickens are getting into the act. I found two dead mice in the coop, both with puncture wounds the size of a beak. Don't mess with Dumpling or Pot Pie I tell you!

And last night I smelled something funny in the bathroom. I looked all around and didn't see anything but definitely smelled something funky. I finally looked in a basket and sure enough, a dead mouse in the bottom. Probably got there by way of Spider and the classic cat game of throw the catch in the air. In this case, it landed in the basket where I couldn't see it until it started to stink.

I Febreezed the basket but I'm not optimistic that it will work. I have Febreezed my couch (formerly Gabby's couch but it was my nice couch before she claimed it) and that only lasts about a day before I can smell dog on it).

Well, at some point it'll be spring and I can open windows and air out the place. Speaking of spring, it's almost 40!!! But more snow on the way so will enjoy today and keep my boots by the door.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and best of all, Happy winter Solstice to all!
love, becx

4 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

Well tales of murdered creatures stinking up the place is a FINE way to celebrate the solstice! But it doesn't beat the Scottish solstice party I attended last night where they served haggis and beef tongue and baby roast pig complete with apple. Oh MY! The true piece of resistance was the whimsical roasted creature made of a turkey body, with a fish head and tail sticking out either end. Never knew the Scots were so much fun! They sure know how to dress up dead creatures. You should try. Maybe you could start with tiny little hats. Send pictures!
And happy holidays to everyone...

Anonymous said...

eeewww. Thats all I can say to that LadyB! R, for a harrow get an old twin bed frame from Goodwill, the middle metal part only, and stick the pins out on it with a wrench, and hook 2 ropes up to the sides of a saddle on BP and have her drag your arena while you lead her. You can add weight with a sand bad or whatever. The gal at our old trainers used this while they were saving for a 'real one', Worked great with a little positioning help, and I am sure BP would still be used to pulling things if you were leading her. Much cheaper than a new one...just a thought!

Anonymous said...

ooops, i meant a sand bag....

becx said...

Wow, hats on cooked meat and a bed frame harrow--I love it! You two are amazing.

I just got home from Christmas up north and drove home in a near blizzard. Weee. Winter's coming! (my brother in law kept saying that as we drove through the snow)