Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Winter & Trains


I've been watching the BEST scenes outside the windows lately; frosty, icy branches, arctic skies, hazy mornings...too many good things to point out and my camera has malfunctioned badly lately, along with my pc. It'll take me 3 reboots to get this post up but so be it. I'll outlast the stupid machine!

So this shot was taken this morning outside my bedroom window. I can get exactly one photo before my camrea shuts down and I have to rest it a day.

So I had the vet out today to check on Beep Beep. Turns out she has bruised feet and he prescribed some special styrofoam booties for her. The vet also prescribed bute, which I had been giving her since yesterday and it was helping. At least it's not founder---I was worried about that. She's lost some weight since being here as I've exercised her a few days/week but he wants more weight off so when her feet feel better it'll be time to hit the trails again. If I have to take her snowshoeing with me I will (I'll wear the snowshoes, she can wear her hooves).

I made a special run to Beaver Dam tonight to get vet tape. I have to make a styrofoam pad for her front feet, wrap it with vet tape then duct tape the whole thing to both front legs. That should give her a little cushion while her feetsies heal up. Joe brought over a piece of real styrofoam (not the kind you get with tv sets). It'll take a hack saw to cut, but I have one of those. I'll trace her little feet tomorrow and get the size of her new wee protector pads just right.

And get this..as I was crusing through Columbus I got stopped at the train tracks. THe daily Amtrak was going through. As I sat there watching the people in the cars I thought "how cool is that; it's still an efficient mode of transport, even with the car lobbyists trying to kill it." I was thinking that for about 6 mintutes, along with how much I missed living in NY where I traveled by train often. Then it dawned on me that I'd been sitting there for 6 minutes and with the car turned off, it was starting to get cold! Argh...I decided to turn around and take the overpass.

That worked dandy. I got to the Fleet Farm, got my vet tape and headed home. I got back to Columbus and got stopped by the freight train!!! I had to laugh at that point. Ahh, more time to contemplate the moment which I'm always happy to do. I got home and no worse for the extra time.

Well, hope ya'll are warm and dry wherever you are.
love, b

10 comments:

Mooneybat said...

Yaaaaaay! The Beeper isn't foundered! How fun for you to get to do the duct tape thing in winter. This is easily one of the most often prescribed and most annoying veterinary regimens you will endure. My advise: buy really, really good duct tape (3M is spendy but worth it!) and keep it warm. This usually means keeping the roll of duct tape in your armpit under your winter coat while wrestling with the vet wrap and the pony. Oh, the fun you will have when you remember that you left the tape in the cold barn and you have to go retrieve it in the wee hours because it really only sticks well when the core temp is above 65F!

Mooneybat said...

oh and don't even THINK about using a piece of duct tape longer than 5" Lots and lots of shortish pieces on a dry hoof work best. you can even stick a little on the coronet hairs to attempt to tack the whole thing down. I also suggest brightly colored tape so that you can find the boot that the pony flips off 20 minutes after you take your eyes off of her! Ok I'll shut up now.

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing at my desk---because as I was looking at all the optional colors of vet tape, I bought white. Doh!!! I had the red in my hands and thought 'naah, that'll clash with her fur..so will the blue since all her tack is green so maybe I'll get plain white. DUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Now when she flings it off I'll never find it in the snow!
I do know the armpit warming trick as I do that with Oscar's bit but I've never tried the duct tape thing. Well, tonight that'll be my chore. I'll let you know how it goes...

Anonymous said...

Success!! Me and Joe tackled the pony this morning and I made her booties up. Joe held on to her head and I did the wrapping and it looked like a perfect, silver hoof when I was done. She was walking better immediately and the only downside is the tape is slippery in the snow. Now I'm contemplating how to make it grip better. I've got some ideas......

Mooneybat said...

Rubber baby Beeper bumers!!!!

Mooneybat said...

I meant: Rubber baby Beeper Bumpers!!!!!

Way to wreck a good pun, Sara

Anonymous said...

I knew that's what you meant and it still cracked me up!!!!

You are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

I knew that's what you meant and it still cracked me up!!!!

You are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

you guys are cracking me up! i have never heard of these boot things. i am a newbie pony owner. please take a photo Rebecca!! please!!!

Anonymous said...

I just tried to get photos--no luck. Camera is not cooperating!! I'll try again later but the booties are working great. Beep is walking all over the pasture just fine and not slipping. I think she figured out how to walk in the boots. Yaaa!