Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Head Light!

Welcome to Sunny Hill. New name, same farm. Same crazy farmer blogger at the keyboard.

So the news is I got the best thing ever--- a headlight!!! I've always wanted one and for some reason just didn't get around to ordering one. Thank de lawd for birthdays and a big brother. Brian got me a headlamp and you know that commercial for LL Bean with the excited little kids sitting on the couch with the headlamps on, waiting to catch a glimpse of Santa? That's me. I put the thing on and can't wait to go outside in the dark. Thanks, Brian!

Day one with headlamp: I found two eggs in a different box than the hens had been laying in. The eggs were frozen which was fine as I cracked them open, scrambled them and put them back in the freezer for future quiche. Real farmers eat quiche ya know.

Oscar didn't like the headlamp at first and he took off when I was crossing the yard to the barn. He got over that when he realized the alien shining light was just me.

Speaking of the horses, it's hard to scoop manure now seeing as it's frozen and stomped into the snow to boot. It dawned on me that I really need to pitch fork some of the manure out before a thaw or there will be a sea of manure. blech. I don't mind stepping in dry poo, but wet poo is another matter.

My camera isn't functioning right and I wanted to post a photo of the farm in all the snow. I managed to ski on Sunday, then changed gear and saddled up Oscar and took him and Beep out for a ride. Oscar needed some schooling around the snow piles but other than that, it was a lovely ride in the snowy fields. Too bad the snow has turned to a pile of ice now. I can walk across it and not make a track it's so hard.

So that's the news from the farm. Come on out and bring your skiis/snowshoes/saddle/wine. :)

becx

3 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

Oh boy! Have wine and own flashlight - On my way! Oh drats! No ticket! No dog sitter! No time! How about a long phone chat? In the snow. While the poops are still frozen.

Mooneybat said...

Hoo! That's some snow we got out there!! The kids are home from school and it looks like we're in for more just about every day this week. Isn't winter just ^%&$# great? At least the horses can walk on top of this snow. That icy glaze was awful. Grover dog ran up to greet me yesterday but couldn't stop. He slid past me looking over his shoulder. He didn't stop until he hit a frozen poop!

becx said...

Well there's a use for frozen poop; dog stop!
More snow?? Good thing my snowshoes arrived yesterday.