Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Recipe Time!

So I put 800 miles on my car, driving around the frozen midwest having adventures. I drove to Des Moines, Iowa to give a presentation for work and along the way had some hilarious phone conversations with all my siblings and of course, Barbara. The recipe below is courtesy of Lady B, who had me laughing all the way into Des Moines telling me about the roast beast she made. She called it "Road Kill Beef" and you'll find the recipe below for your cooking pleasure.

My road trip got started because my little sister and I decided to change kitchen tables; I got a new (old) farm table and she got mine. So when the opportunity came up to speak in Des Moines I figured I'd just swing up to Neen's and deliver the table. Ha ha..I didn't check the map to see it was going to be an 8 hour ride but that's ok--I love a road trip.

I loaded the table into the car, packed some lunch and off I went. The table and chairs were very good road trippers; didn't eat anything or throw garbage around the car. We all made it in one piece and Neen's new house is georgeous!

We had a bottle of wine and a house tour. What a fabulous location and beautiful home. I slept in my niece's bed and when I awoke, thought I was in Colorado! It's like being on top of a mountain there over the Mississippi River.

I took off at 10 to head to other sister's house in Western Wisconsin. That's where I made my Big Mistake. I decided to drive all the way up to the house on a driveway that hadnt' been plowed well. So I made it half way before getting stuck and had to walk half a Km to the house. There I found Mike, Sara and their houseguests happily drinking champagne and no one minded that I was now blocking the driveway. We managed to get the car unstuck, thanks to a team effort and some wild backwards driving by Mike--hollymolly--never thought my car could go 30mph through the snow up a hill, backwards.

Anyway, twas a fine weekend. Now here's that recipe...bon appetite!

Lady Barbara’s Road Kill Pot Roast
Ingredients:
-1 pretty good sized slab dead cow
-1 envelope Lipton’s Onion Soup and Dip mix
-1 can Campbell’s condensed cream of mushroom soup
- few cloves minced garlic
- Good shake Bouquet Garni
- 1 Bay leaf (that you will remove when done, of course)
- ¼ cup red wine – if you haven’t imbibed it all.
Sour cream to taste just before serving.


Preparation and cooking Instructions:
Accidentally leave meat in shopping bag on counter top amidst bills, tools, and miscellaneous flotsam.
Rediscover package in tidying frenzy after about 1½ days.
Tentatively open corner, sniff cautiously, and ignore slightly gray tinge; Yeah, it’s dead.
Wash, pat dry, and sear both sides.
Slap into bottom of large slow cooker, gray side down if it bothers you, and top with soups, spices and wine.
Cook on low 10 hours (8PM to 8AM by my reckoning.)
When done taste small bite. If not sick by noon, eat lots for lunch with sour cream over a baked potato. Enjoy!

13 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

That is a REAL, honest, tried and true recipe. Just had a bit more tonight with tofu "sour cream". Been a week since I made it and I think its high time to test the brand new garbage disposer so I can wash the bowl. But I got nearly a week's meals out of it - one glob at a time - and it still tastes fine. Not bad for a rotten ole piece of road kill. Yum!

ScootsOnMoots said...

I spent a year in Des Moines one night.

Lady Barbara said...

Just shows you how long a night can be in a place like Des Moines

Anonymous said...

I didn't even get to see much of Des Moines! I did my presentation then headed north to Lansing. Decorah Iowa looks like a cool town worth another visit.

It had a groovy looking wine bar!! Someday I'm going to open my wood-fired oven pizza/wine joint. Now that'd be a fine adventure!

ScootsOnMoots said...

Actually, Des Moines isn't that bad. It's been ranked in recent years as a top location for job / business growth. Other unnamed sources also tagged it as a city most likely to get into a tangle with police after a day of drinking. And you'd think a bunch of flat landers used to patiently waiting for the corn to sprout would have some patience remaining for an out-of-towner that had one shot too many.

ScootsOnMoots said...

And BTW, Decorah is a cool place. The have some nice MTB'ing there and it's a great departure point for some canoe / kayak adventures. Don't forget your potato gun if you decide to go camping on the river there!!

Lady Barbara said...

I see a joint venture coming, cuzzin Becca, and I can help! I'll show you how to make Road Kill Pizza. Oh - and what about Bottom of the Barrel Wine? We can go on to decorate Decora. I wouldn't much care to live where the folks greeble the elegant French language. Oy Moynes!

Anonymous said...

Alright you two geniuses...you are both invited to my new res-tau-rant in Decorrah. I cooked up a scheme to move myself there in 2 years and still work for Trek--offline.

Road kill pizza...sounds good. And Scott's a fine chef himself. Maybe he could do something normal on the menu?

ScootsOnMoots said...

Huh? I'm a hack. But I bet a healthy dose of cajun would even make the Upper Iowa carp taste good. And make you thirsty.....if'n ya know what I mean (wink....wink....).

Anonymous said...

wink wink?? Humm. I wonder what goes with Cajun carp. Would that be a chardonnay or a pinot grigio? Wait wait, I have it. An oversized shot of tequila, no lime.

ScootsOnMoots said...

eeeggggsactly. and no shot glass either.

Anonymous said...

LOL! you crack me up, Scott.

Lady Barbara said...

EVERYBODY following the Sunny Hill Farm saga needs to say a special prayer for my pony, the Beepster, whose feet are still giving her so much trouble despite special shoes and amazing intensive, loving care from her Auntie Becca. I just hope when the test results come back it turns out to be something easy to fix. Poor little red pony. Anyone can say a prayer anywhere. Just one little prayer each would probably be plenty. I'm really worried