Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Heyyyyyyyy, macARENA!


I don't know the words to the Macarena song but that's what's going through my head because today the arena was getting built! I know the photo looks like a bunch of posts, but notice how straight they are. Ahhh, lovely. Nothing makes a lady farmer happier than a straight fenceline.

I gave the arena a name: J. Skalitsky Arena, in honor of my best mate, Joe. Where would I be without Joe?? One sorry farmer that's for sure.

I rode home from work today and saw the posts as I cruised down the hill on my bike and got kind of excited. Turns out we needed a gate so Joe and I went to Tractor Supply and got a gate. And some stall bedding. And a nice wheelbarrow. And a new pocket knife. And some tools and a toolbox....and some other crap that totaled $400 and I figured that was getting out of there cheap.

Best part there was Joe let me drive the diesel truck. It's a six speed so we were tooling along on Hwy 19 and Joe said "do you like that 5th gear 'cause there's an overdrive if you want it." I thought that was a mighty sweet way of pointing out the 6th gear. Last truck I drove only had 4 gears so it was nice to hear about the sixth gear. Joe also pointed out that he was a bit of a "pig pen" with his truck. I told him that was ok since he had a very tidy farm.

I'm all about a tidy barn. My laundry might not be folded but damn, my hay bales are straight.

So I lugged the bedding into the barn and noticed that Gabby had rolled in something offensive so I took a few minutes to wipe her down. Then I noticed that Oscar had a snarled up forelock. I have to go on a burdock search. He must be catching the burdock near the fenceline.

Speaking of Oz, I took a photo this morning but the light wasn't good. Tried again tonight to get a good photo but discovered my horse has a giant ball of burdock in his head. Not attractive. Beep looks good though, thanks to her thorough brushing last night. Anyway, here's a photo of the two of them this morning, waiting for some hay to fall over the fence. Note: Oscar did not like my coffee which I set on the fence post to take the photo.

He turned his nose up at it. Beep didn't care; she was busy nibbling on the grass next to the fence. The two of them kind of remind me of when my dog Gabby gets together with my brother's dog, Bekett. The two dogs have opposite shapes but similar coloring. Beep has the best little white spot on her right shoulder. You can see it in the photo.


Now I'm in for the night, having some wine and soup and writing about my farm. I love this place. It'll take dynamite or bankruptcy to get me out of here. I think I have an afterwork function tomorrow and another on Friday which is annoying. I'll have to try and ride Oscar in the morning tomorrow and see how that goes.

Tally ho for now,
b

9 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

You can sing THIS!

Dale a tu cuerpo
Alegria Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa darle
Alegria y cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo
Alegria Macarena
Eh, Macarena!
Dale a tu cuerpo
Alegria Macarena
Que tu cuerpo es pa darle
Alegria y cosa buena
Dale a tu cuerpo
Alegria Macarena
Eh, Macarena!

ScootsOnMoots said...

If those 4 legged fertilizer generators can't manage to keep the weeds down and I have to come back they're gonna be in trouble!!

Anonymous said...

Weeds??? That reminds me. Wasn't I supposed to get some goats?

I just cleaned the barn of "fertilizer" and with new gigantic wheelbarrow with 20" tires, it was done in one load.

Anyone need some nice fertilizer??? U-haul.

Mooneybat said...

Goats, yes! We have to figure out transport on that one. I suppose I'll have to throw them in the truck and hit the road one of these days. First off, however, I'm going to have to catch them and since they are way out on the back 40 to the back 40, it may be a while. Oh and the one I want to give to you does look somewhat pregnant.

Anonymous said...

I'd love a baby goat! Do goats ride in cars well? They could come home in the Mazda. it smells like a barn anyway.

Lady Barbara said...

Sara, isn't it true if ponies can go in the house baby goats can ride in cars. I'm not real sure where the seat-belts go, though.

Mooneybat said...

Adult goats fit in station wagons. Wisconsin D.O.T. regs state: "Caprines animals shall be restricted to driving only while leashed and/or harnessed and only during daylight hours." She should be there by Saturday morning on account of the fact that she drives only in 1st gear and makes frequent stops for forage.

I'm talking package deal here. You don't just get the baby goat. You get to birth the babies.

becx said...

Hot dang. I ain't birthin'no babies Miss Scarlett!!!

And who wrote that DOT reg? I'm suspicous!

Lady Barbara said...

Becx, sumthin's really screwy here. I just Googled Wisconsin DOT and they aint got nuttin' 'bout no caprines.
They suggested - do you mean "caprice"? an' I thinks thet's wut yer sister's up to. but when you thinks about it, a preggers goat's gotta be a pretty special sight drivin' itself down the highway in broad daylight from one farm to another. Hope someone's takin' pictures!