Friday, November 23, 2007

Snow on the Outhouse

You think this was a black and white photo, but it's not! It's a color photo, taken Thanksgiving morning after a couple centimeters of snowfall. Thanksgiving was a lot of fun and here's the highlights:
6:00am..phone call from Joe. "Hey becca...your horses are up on the hill."
6:00.5am..aaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6:02am, run to barn, grab halters, look for open gate (didn't see one) run up hill.
6:07am, catch Oscar,lead him down the hill with ponies following
6:10, Oscar locked in barn, start after other two who stopped following. Start tracking hoofprints in snow, which lead to alfalfa field behind house. Joe drives over in the truck to help with the round up but I it's going to be awhile as the ponies are well into the alfalfa. I found out where they got out; the gate I use to take the manure out of the pasture. It was the only gate that didn't have a snap lock so I'm betting it was Beep who played with the chain and got it unlatched.

It took Joe and I a half hour to figure out how to catch the horses. It was futile trying to walk up to them because the baby was herding Red thisaway and thataway. She's even smarter than her mama! I wound up getting Oscar and leading the two ponies back in. They followed right into the barn. Once they were captured I looked at Joe and said "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Then I got to cooking and getting ready for family. This was my second turkey I've ever cooked. I couldn't find my stupid turkey baster. I had to baste with a cup which is not nearly as good as a baster.

Jeannine and family and Brian and fam got to the farm in the afternoon and we went for a short hike. Dinner was at 5 and featured all the usual thanksgivingy things. Brian made some excellent challah bread and Neener made pie. And, just like being at Grandma Jane's, there was Redi-whip in a can. After dinner we had a vicious game of Monopoly, with Jay monopolizing the bank. Here's a photo of Jay studying his next move, and Sam bowing out (he was the first to go).
Note the cluster of hotels near Jay's elbow.

When Jay and Jesse were fighting over rent on the Boardwalk the can of Redi-whip came out. Those of us already out of the game made whipped cream mustaches and eyebrows.




That would be Jeannine giving Sam a shot.

And Emily and Jesse got in a few good blasts until the can ran out.

Here's to kicking off the holiday madness. May we all stay sane and healthy...
til soon,
b

3 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

Ya know, just when I tell you I really really do want the Milk House you have to post a picture of an even BETTER one! Not fair not showing it to me before. But just Imagine it in COLOR!
And about blaming Beep for every little thing: you'd be a BIG loser in court - you even admitted for all to read that her baby is smarter. You didn't have all these adventures (for a while, at least) until the baby came. So why do you assume.....? Ya know, the Beepster and I are really tired of the endless finger pointing.
BTW Your Thanksgiving looked just perfect! Just what the simple, God-fearing Pilgrims had in mind for future generations - Cool Whip fights and Monopoly. And I'll just bet they couldn't find their turkey baster, either, after all that intercontinental travel. Moving really does screw us up. I only wish I had been there. Next year you'll all have to come dine at the Milk House. I'm planning a full wine cellar underneath, within that wonderful stone foundation. So there!

becx said...

Was too Beep's fault! And you don't even need a foundation for your wine cellar--just put the bottles in the cee-ment milk cooler! You could make a day bed right on top of it--then lift up the top to get at the wine!

Lady Barbara said...

Waaaaaaalllllllll aint that just HANDY! A cooler and a daybed all in one. Must say how impressed I am with all that modern-day efficiency. An wen my time comes ya kin keep me good 'n chilled until ya gets enough wine glasses to hold a proper funeral fer the mobs of people plannin' to come to be sure I ain't jest fakin' it! And I 'spect y'll wanna memrize this song from Oklahoma thet I jest happens to think is appropriate fer a stiff like me.
"Poor Barbara's dead
A candle lights her head
She's lookin' oh so peaceful and serene.
She's all laid out to rest
With her hands across her chest
Her fingernails have never been so clean.

Poor Barbara's dead
a candle lights her head
She's lookin' oh so purty and so nice
She looks like she's asleep
It's a shame that she wont keep
But its summer and we're running out of ice."

Promise you'll sing that or I wont live in your milk house.