Sunday, June 15, 2008

Rain Rain Go Away

And don't come back for 100 years. Please. So the news of the week? More rain. On top of the "i-lost-count-total" we got more heavy rain on Thursday. On Friday I discovered my sump pump quit. Wow. It doesn't get any better than having a pond in your yard and one in your basement.

Aaaaakkk, skip that. let's talk about happier things. Like my kitchen remodel which has been going on since about when the monsoon started. Here's a photo of the old (weird) cabinet being removed. That's Anthony, the Russian, playing with Cooper. Normally he works in Florida with Barbara but she hauled him to Wisconsin to preserve my kitchen. He has friends here (also from Russia) so he's happy to be here and he loves dogs. Even thieving, little turds like Mini Cooper.
And here's a shot of the same spot two days later, after the brick chimney came out. The bricks are now ringing burn spot #1. That's where I put miscellaneous wood, weeds and other things that need to be burned. It's nice to have a bit of house history out in the yard serving a purpose.
And here's how the new kitchen alcove looks. It's not done yet, but you get the picture. The alcove is beadboard, with a recessed cabinet and one more coming above it. The best thing is now I have a work triangle. Before, it was 15' to go from the stove to the fridge. Barbara is staying true to the farmhouse theme which is authentic to my antique house.

This week will feature replacing the art deco ceiling fan, installing the sliding door, the built in table and some brackets. It's slow going as every single feature is built for this house. No one works like Barbara does and she's worth the $150/hour fee. She's saved me a ton of money because she knows her construction methods, design and historic preservation.

I know this much from bike racing: once you are at the top, you know where you can adapt situations to get the same results. There are a lot of posers in the bike racing world and even more in the design world. I'm lucky, just plain lucky to have the best brain in the historic preservation world on this project.

And on top of the the rain and kitchen rehab, I've been riding Willow to relieve stress. I love this mare. She's gem and what a fantastic influence on Oscar. They complement each other well: Oscar bosses her around the barn and fields, and she leads him down the trails in the wild woods.This photo is of Amy on Oscar, holding onto Willow. Disregard her skinny neck. Between her regular excericse inflicted by Oscar and me, she'll be looking like a mini hunter in no time.


Stay tune for more....and here's to dry days.
b

8 comments:

Mooneybat said...

Wonderful! Everything looks great over there. Will you be having a kitchen warming party any time soon? I want to meet Miss Willow! I want to visit with Barbara! How much longer do you think the project will be ongoing?

Anonymous said...

Hi Seestor!
It is looking spectacular. I just love watching it transform. YES! You have to visit and the work will go at least another month so plenty of time to get out here!

becx said...

Well shucks!
Now that I have your rapt attention and convinced you I'm the greatest gift to the design world since FLW, I think I'll just have to raise your rates. As for a kitchen warming, at my new rates I see a completion date of hmmmm.. maybe Thanksgiving? Miraculously, These working conditions havent gotten to me yet - horses grazing in view of my work space, birds and dogs and cats cavorting all over, sleeping with the windows wide open (no droning air conditioner) and fresh-baked peanut butter chocolate chip cookies notwithstanding. I suspect there will be more pictures posted as work progresses. And, given my rates for design time, I am moving as slowly as I possibly can.

Anonymous said...

Well, THAT was not Becx at ALL!
That was me using her computer. Sorry, Becca.

Anonymous said...

Now cut that out!! You realize that I'm enjoying having you here so too bad. Nice try. And we have to cut back on the wine!! xoxoxoox

Anonymous said...

Oh absolutely! Self, take note - Cut back on wine. Would that be before or after we indulge in the twelve bottles I just bought tonight? And only ONE had a screw top! Imagine that! Now I am Watching the flaming orange sun set between a dark purple cloud and the enormous barn roof at Sunny Hill Farm just as you and your team are racing your hearts out miles away on pink cow-spotted bicycles. As for us, the Horses are fed, dogs and chickens too. Everyone's snoozing and utter peace reigns on the most beautiful farm in Wisconsin. Cant believe you are missing this, Bec. it is pure magic. And I NEVER want to finish your kitchen!

..Ruh roh!

becx said...

well then, after the kitchen we can partake in the library! Then the tack room, then the Eastlake room, then the chicken coop/wine bar. That'll take about a year or three!

Did we quit drinking wine yet?

Mooneybat said...

Man! My kitchen project wasn't nearly as much fun as yours! There was a lot of drinking but it was more stress induced consumption of hard liquor than the bucolic borjeulaus imbibement, the shameless chardonnay sipping, the mirthful merlot marathons you two seem to be having. Sheesh!

Well on the up side, I've been riding Jimmy quite a bit lately and he is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!Wooooooooooooooooooooooooo Jimmy!