Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Monsoon Season is Here

Don't be fooled...this photo of me and Oz was taken just before the monsoon started. It looks so sunny and warm but that was the first sunny and warm day all year. The pic was taken next to the old chicken coop where the iris is blooming. It's some old variety that smells like grapes.

It's not lost on me that the last post I wrote a mere three weeks ago I was bummed that it was so cold. Since then we've had 10" of rain. To say it's been an eventful couple of weeks is understating the obvious. Here's the list:
- Beep had to go to horsey heaven; she was a pony with chronic founder and I did all I could for her but I had to admit I had lost the battle
- Willow arrived the day Beep left. Willow is the sweetest morgan/arab blend you'll ever meet
- Lady B arrived and is going at the kitchen with Anthony, the Estonian apprentice
- Cooper has reached his terrible twos and it's dicey every day whether he'll get a pass to stay another day.
- The pond has returned to the front yard with a vengance. On Saturday we had massive storms and tornados all around us. By writing this post I am putting off (for a few minutes anyway) wading in to put the pump in and start the bailout process.
- Oscar got a case of gas colic due to the pressure drops, go figure. But he returned to his pesky self after the vet gave him a shot of banamine and since I had to pay an emergency visit fee ($$!) I had the vet give all his spring shots.

Here's a few photos....

Sunday morning I got up after listening to pounding rain all night.
I walked into the kitchen and there was the greenest little froggie in the middle of the kitchen. I was admiring his color when Cooper arrived and started tormenting the frog. In this photo Coop is pouncing on the frog (the small black spot). Note: two yellow rubber duckies brought in from the bathtub by the dog.

Here's a shot of Miss Willow meeting up with Oz. He's saying to her "You can call me Bossy Boots."

Last photo is of all of the siblings at Dad's 70th b-day on Memorial day weekend. We had a surprise party for him and he was surprised, although he suspected something was up. Aside from telling Dad stories my favorite part of the weekend was going for a run with all of my siblings. I don't run much anymore but we had a good time teasing each other for 3 miles.
Time to get to putting the pump in the yard or face a mosquito invasion. toodles for now...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, the cycle of life sure hits you on a farm.I finally got to meet "my", or Barbara's Pony, AKA B.P. or Beep, and my first look at her convinced me this was the final sad part of her story. Telltale rings on her tiny hooves betrayed her history of founder and her stance said more than words about her current pain. How different this could have turned out if we had only been told.... But now the best care in the world (which she sure had at Sunny Hill) couldn't make these little feet feel better, and the strong pain medication simply added stomach distress to her misery. For everything there is a season - first the joy of having this precious creature in our lives, however briefly, and then enough compassion to let her go. It was clear. It was time. Thankful that animals have no foresight, we rubbed her head and patted her goodbye and were grateful that she could graze happily on otherwise previously forbidden sweet alfalfa until her world with us painlessly ended.
Alas, Poor Oscar - for some time he nickered and whinnied for his little companion, but just as he was settling back into the single life, someone drove up to the far side of his barn pulling a horse van and - even though they couldn't see each other but must have recognized each other's close presence by smell - the silence was abruptly broken by shrill cries and excited answers back and forth between the two horses. What a din!
And what elation! After a proper introduction, once in the pasture, they immediately ran off together up the hill, and then, after a thorough survey of the land, simply lowered their heads to graze side by side as if they'd always been together.
Like Oscar, I claimed Willow for "my own" - the minute I saw her classic Arab head.
Well, she does have the prettiest dished nose and enormous kind eyes you ever saw. I will be painting her portrait soon too. It will hang right next to Beep's so far away in my little Florida house to remind me of one precious pony who kept Oz from days of loneliness and helped revive my personal dream of having a horse of "my own", and this beautiful gentle lady (who has just discovered the appeal of sugar cubes) and keeps my rather foolish dream alive.
But for now rest well, my Beep. And thanks Becca from my heart for your amazing care of her.
And the circle goes on......