Sunday, November 18, 2007

That's not a deer!!


That's Rosie, the baby pony. But those were the first words out of my mouth this morning at 6am when I looked out my window and saw a shape moving through the yard (!) about the size of a deer.

I pulled on some pants and a coat and went out for the round up. Fortunately Rosie is easy to catch and wanted to be with her pals, Oscar and Beep. She wasn't sure about coming in the barn but a little hay took care of that. I put her back inside and gave them all some hay and rigged up a barrier so she couldn't get out. She got out through the "people pass" i had built into the gate system. When I had it built I didn't factor in a wee pony!

Anyway, all three of them are doing fine. When Rosie showed up there was a fine display of "kickin' up some heels" as all three of them went tearing around the paddock. Oscar now has two horses to herd only he's a mere fraction of his former self. BG (before gelding) Oscar was a tenacious herder. Now, he just nudges them off the hay and w/o even a snort.

Here's a photo of Oz nudging Rosie off some hay. He reminds me of a T-rex, esp. in this photo.


I am glad I had the stalls built though as now I can lock Oz and Beep in their stalls and let the baby eat her carrots and supplements in peace.

Rosie has the tiniest little hooves--it's so cute!
She's got big eyes and a fuzzy mane and tail. She likes being petted and is good on a lead rope. She jumped right out of the trailer yesterday like an old pro.

She's smart too. When Oscar nudges her from her hay she walks around the fence to the next pile so the fence is between them. That buys her about 15 minutes of grazing time uninterrupted. She's holding her own out there in the herd!

Oh, and I promised Lady B a photo of the bunkhouse; here it is, and that's Joe's barn to the right (just across the street) and my pole shed/garage to the right.

It's the original chicken house and the former owners were using it for a dog kennel. The open space to the right is my lower garden (upper garden is for strawberries!). THe bunk house has the same stone foundation as the barn and house. It would take some work but with a complete rebuild, this would make a cute "cottage!"

I know just the person for that project. :)

Only she has too many houses in Florida and can't make it up here to work on her wee cottage! That's ok though, that gives me time to fill it up with stuff. It's holding a lot of plywood from the barn. It's the good old kind of plywood; 3/4" and sturdy. I used some of it for the chicken coop repair. You can't buy that stuff anymore.

The coop/bunkhouse even has windows. Those were some spoiled chickens. That's what I like about this place; the Kilians thought ahead. They planted lots of trees back in 1899 and built solid buildings and tall basements. And they left a lot of good karma behind.

Time to get a move on the day. Toodles for now,
b

5 comments:

Lady Barbara said...

All I can say is-
if you insist on sticking me out there in the old chicken coop/dog kennel, I am more glad than ever I was born with no sense of smell!
But I am not done! You just wait to see what a beautiful pillared porch with a railing and a few gingerbread details and a bunch of geraniums will do to that old heap. I'm not proud! Well, on second thought, yeah I am! But I would be honored to live happily in your dog house. Bring on the rocking chairs!
I already have the franklin stove.
I'm almost on my way~!

becx said...

It wasn't my idea to put you in the milk house--that thing is tiny! At least the chicken coop is BIG!
Enough for a whole roomful of furniture. :)

Mooneybat said...

I've seen this chicken coop. It has good bones. I'm certain that with some tasteful details, a good looking cat, insulation and a well designed porch, this place will shine - a regular Thoreauvian paradise!

becx said...

Ha! I tried to download the photo of Barbara's sketch; the chicken coop had a porch on it. Looked down right cute and yes, it needs a cat!

Lady Barbara said...

This dumb thing ate my last message. I said "OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" no kitties for me. Allergic. But an Iguana named Iggy would be FINE! And I do have the perfect rocker. Yeah! I rock! Adn I can always play with Beccas kitties if she ever invites the kennel keeper into the house.