Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Weapons of Mass Hay Making

That there is the Big Ole Tractor that hauls the hay baler. So guess what I've been doing this week?? Yaa der making hay! Whilst y'all were watching tv and drinking beer, I was raking hay and drinking beer. I think I win in the "fun" department.

Confidential to MooneyBat: solidarity sister. Hay making is hard work!

Anyhoo, the festivities started on Saturday when the hay (alfafa) got mowed. It needed 2 days to dry so on Monday afternoon I was out on the Kubota raking it.


Here's a photo of the cute lil Kubota. I'd just finished raking and aren't those the nicest rows o hay you ever saw? (Say yes, dammit!)

The rake throws hay out the left side only so I did a whole lot of clockwise, then counterclockwise circles. It wasn't boring at all, not with Cooper in my lap (he insisted on riding along) and the ear protection/radio I had. The one problem with that was the ear phones only picked up Christian stations or *really* old rock stations that I've never knew existed in Madison. So it was either "depend on Jesus, he's the only one who loves you" or some Van Halen tune I've blocked to survive puberty.


Here's another shot of the field and it's tidy rows. Nothing like a tidy row of alfafa.

So last night (Tuesday) was bale like crazy before it rained night. Neighbor Mike was in the BF Tractor and I was in the LF tractor, hauling the hay wagon over to my barn to unload. I pulled into the barn and started throwing hay down, only to quickly realize that these haybales were somewhere in the range of 60# a piece. (um, that's kinda heavy).

After an hour of tossing I looked up and saw that I had about 140 bales to go and called for back up. That would be Joe. We got it done and I hauled the wagon back just in time for the rain to start. The rain felt great seeing as I was a sweaty, disgusting, unladylike mess when it hit.

But, nothing like a barn full of fresh hay. That makes a farmer happy.
toodles.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Becky, you are SUPER WOMAN.

How do you do it all?????



My hat off to you. Love ya, Doris

Mooneybat said...

Lovely windrows, sistah! There is nothing better than the beer drunk after putting up the hay, aina?

Are you all set for the winter now?

Anonymous said...

Hi Sara and Doris!
First, Sara, the hell is a windrow?? neighbor Mike mentioned that the other day and I couldn't hear very well over the tractor and forgot to ask him what he meant.

Doris: How do I do all this? Well that's easy; the Anderson/Tevis/Dudley ancestors made some strong women, that's for sure. Me, Sara and Neen could run any operation anyone threw at us....there might be some *interesting* process *adaptatations* but nothing we couldnt' handle.

And I don't watch tv, I drink too much red wine which gives me Crazy Ideas and there's no one to stop me! Muahahahahahahahah.

Speaking of red wine....my red wine cell count is low. must administer meds. Stat.

Unknown said...

WAY TO GO FARM GIRL! WHEN YOU'RE ALL DONE WITH CHORES THERE YOU CAN POP UP TO G.C. TO HELP YUR POP SPLIT WOOD,,,YEEEHAAAAAAAAAA!

ton,Papa